Hemorrhoids are those blood vessels in the anal area that have become swollen. These hemorrhoids can even become inflamed and cause immense pain to the individual. If you are suffering from hemorrhoids, it is best to get medical treatment before they become more severe. It is hard to say how long a hemorrhoid can last as it differs from individual to individual and are of various types.
There are some that can be cured in a few days while others that are more severe may last for months. It is best to let the doctor diagnose the hemorrhoid so that you can get proper treatment and make sure it does not reoccur.
OVERVIEW OF HEMORRHOIDS
There are two types of hemorrhoids and treatment differs for both as well as the duration and symptoms. These are:
Internal Hemorrhoids are found generally near the anal canal, are not painful, and cannot be seen. However, they may change over time into a prolapsed hemorrhoid that comes out of the rectum during your bowel movements. These are quite painful and cannot be put back into the anal canal once it has come out.
When you notice brown lumps on your anus, then it is a case of external hemorrhoids and these are very painful. The location may differ but it is generally found somewhere around the anus. They generally bleed and can be very itchy as well. These hemorrhoids generally deteriorate into thrombosed hemorrhoids that are very dangerous as they can cause blood clots.
WHAT IS THE DURATION OF HEMORRHOIDS
Natural recovery time
Depending on the type: Some hemorrhoids can disappear within a few days while some more severe ones may last for weeks. If you are suffering from internal hemorrhoids, it may take around two months for these hemorrhoids to heal. In case of any external hemorrhoids, especially if there is a blood clot, the duration may last for as long as three months. If you have got hemorrhoids once, be careful and take preventive measures to ensure that it doesn’t occur in the same place again
Depending on the frequency: If you have had hemorrhoids more than once, then you are more likely to be prone to this condition in the future as well and each one may be more severe in nature. If you are pregnant, obese or participate in anal sex, you are more likely to get hemorrhoids. Be careful and take precautionary measures to ensure that these hemorrhoids do not keep occurring in your body.
If you have visited the doctor to treat your hemorrhoid, then it most likely will heal faster than naturally but it depends on the severity of the hemorrhoid as well as the treatment used.
- Ligation treatment: If the doctor uses rubber bands to cut off the blood supply from the hemorrhoid, it is called ligation treatment. The hemorrhoid will disappear within 7-10 days in such cases.
- Infrared coagulation: If the doctor uses an infrared device to cure the hemorrhoid that makes the blood coagulate, then it is called infrared coagulation. The hemorrhoid will be fully cured within 3-4 weeks.
- If you have undergone surgery for a severe hemorrhoid, then it could take several weeks to be fully cured.
NATURAL TREATMENTS FOR HEMORRHOIDS
In order to ensure that these hemorrhoids do not reoccur, you can follow the following methods:
- Triphala: You can use the herb Triphala to cure the constipation that occurs due to a hemorrhoid. You can use it as a compress, bowel tonic or as an ointment.
- Self-made Tea: Mix a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds, honey in boiling water and drink it daily to cure the hemorrhoid.
- Self-made balm: You can mix bayberry, white oak, myrrh and goldenseal root to create a balm that can help reduce hemorrhoids.
- Olive Oil and Chamomile Tea: If you drink olive oil and chamomile tea, it can help reduce hemorrhoids to a great extent. You can also apply almond oil to soothe the area and baking soda will help relieve the itchiness.
- Witch Hazel: A hemorrhoid can be greatly reduced if apply witch hazel on it thrice a day. Make sure you use an aseptic cotton pad to do so.
- Butcher’s Broom Ointment: You can apply butcher’s broom ointment to help bring down the swelling caused by a hemorrhoid. This is safe even for those who are pregnant, who have high blood pressure or are suffering from benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Horse Chestnut: You can either drink horst chestnut tea or eat capsules of it to bring down hemorrhoids. But avoid it if you have severe bleeding disorders.
- Aloe Vera: This is helpful to reduce the pain associated with hemorrhoids. Just apply it regularly on the affected area.
Remember to stay hydrated, consume a diet full of high fibers and a high amount of bioflavonoids to reduce the occurrence of hemorrhoids and to lessen the pain.