It is vital to brush your hair regularly, as it helps in maintaining and rejuvenating your hair. Brushing your hair is like having a healthy food, in other words, brushing keeps your hair healthy.
Benefits of Hair Brushing
There are some advantages of brushing your hair regularly. Some of the benefits are described below:
- Brushing your hair and scalp regularly keep the dust and waste materials like catarrh, uric acid crystal deposits and other impurities out of your hair and scalp.
- Brushing cleans your hair better than artificial shampoos.
- Brushing hair helps stimulate glands present in our scalp to produce various essential oils and hormones.
- Regularly brush your hair to have better shine and life to your hair and it adds the volume of your hair as well.
- Brushing hair keeps pores of hair clean and open, thereby maintaining proper breathing.
- Brushing regularly stimulates capillaries on our scalp and increases blood circulation to the scalp, thus increasing essential nutrients and oxygen to the hair root, bulb, and stem.
How to brush your hair
- Select a proper brush
Using a right brush is an intrinsic part and choosing the right brush is as important as brushing your hair itself.
- The most common material used to build natural bristles of a brush is the boar’s hair. However, there are also some bristles available in the market that are made from the porcupine. Hair-experts’ advice to use the boar’s hair to smooth out cuticle and add shine to your hair. This kind of bristle is good for coarse hair, as they grip the hair well while brushing.
- Any individual, who has long hair and wants to have well-curled hair ends, then he/she must use a brush with the larger head for the major part of the blowout and then switching to a smaller headed brush for the ends.
- Nylon bristles are good for detangling hair knots, as they are flexible that’s why these brushes are best suited to brush knotted hair and minimize painful hair pulling.
- Steps to follow
- How you brush your hair is also a crucial matter. You should stand erect, then bend over from your waist as far as you can to have a better blood circulation in the scalp.
- Increased blood flow to our scalp keeps our hair healthy and nourishes entire scalp and hair follicles. There are various exercises and yoga, in which head goes down below our waist, thus increasing more blood flow into our scalp.
- Take a good brush and start brushing the area of the nape of the neck, sides of your head and then the crown all the way till the front facial hairline. Slowly brush your hair with smooth stroke at least for 3 minutes.
- Now again stand erect, then do the process in reverse order. Doing so will cover the hair thoroughly with sebum, which is a natural elixir that helps in hair conditioning.
- You should not brush or untangle your hair when it’s wet, as doing so may lead to hair breakage. Always use a wide toothed brush while brushing after taking a shower. Brush your wet hair gently and avoid damaging hair while untangling wet hair. Pulling too hard on your hair may break your hair.
- Brushing your hair rigorously will not help in distributing essential oils from your scalp and make your hair shiny. Instead, too much brushing may lead to excessive friction on hair causing cartilage damage and hair breakage. Also, excessive brushing makes our hair frizzy and lustreless.
- Excessive brushing your hair will not stimulate the blood flow to your scalp, it will only bring more damage to your hair.
- Try to use artificial shampoo less frequently as excessive use of such products will remove the essential oil from your hair and make it frizzier.