When your abdomen experiences point tenderness, you feel pain at a specific point. Health experts and doctors term the problem abdominal tenderness. It refers to the improper functioning of more than one organ surrounding the pressure point. You must approach this disorder as a medical emergency. Pain in the left side of lower abdomen is the result of an intrusion of your umbilicus directed in a linear path up to your waist.
The disorder is commonly witnessed among the elderly people and women. Several attributes such as trapped wind, kidney infection, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease etc can cause lower left abdominal pain.
The human abdomen is divided into four parts; the gallbladder and liver form the first part; duodenum and stomach form the second; the appendix is the third part and the final part comprises of the sigmoid colon.Pelvic organs disorders are attributed to malfunction of the organs in the third and fourth part because these areas comprise of the fallopian tubes and the ovaries, popularly known as McBurney’s point.
Sometimes when you don’t chew food properly or talk excessively while eating a little quantity of air is trapped in the food pipe. Due to proper indigestion, the bowel lumen swells due to internal pressure created by the trapped air. Hence, you develop pain in the lower abdomen. Symptoms of trapped wind include:
- Bloating, even though you are perfectly healthy
- Consistent cramps in the lower abdomen
- Loud noises during bowel movements also known as farting
It refers to irregular and difficult bowel movements. It is a common health disorder that affects any individual, regardless of age.
Symptoms of this health condition include:
- Reduced bowel movements
- Hard stools, small stools
- Feeling of incomplete stools
- Straining during passing bowels
- Abdominal pain
Several factors attribute to the development of this health problem including:
- Improper digestion
- Less intake of fiber and water
- Less physical activity
- Excessive use of laxatives
- Excess consumption of dairy food items
- Ingestion of antacids
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
It refers to a gastrointestinal problem caused due to unusual pain in the abdomen, bloating, and change in bowel habits. Major symptoms of IBS include:
- Food allergy due to consumption of spices, beans, fruits, chocolate, cauliflower, fats, milk, cabbage, alcohol and carbonated beverages.
- Anxiety and stress leads to improper digestive system, constipation, and other digestive problems that may lead to IBS.
- Hormonal changes
- Diarrhea and other intestinal disorders due to excessive growth of bacteria.
Inflammation of the pelvic muscles
This is a health disorder prevailing in women. Due to an infection, a woman develops inflammation of her uterus, cervix, ovaries as well as her fallopian tubes. The common symptoms of this health condition are as follows:
- Lower stomach pain followed by constant or dull cramps in the lower part of the stomach. The pain increases during urination, bowel movements or sexual intercourse.
- Excessive pressure on the pelvic region
- Pain in the lower back
- Unusual vaginal discharge – brown, green, or yellow
- Irregular menstruation
- Burning sensation or pain during urination
During the aging process, our human body undergoes several changes. There are other factors also that result in the inflammation of our diverticulum i.e. an outpouching comprising of a structure – hollow or fluid like. Inflammation of the diverticulum is known as diverticulitis – a disorder in which the feces are stuck in the outpouch that causes lower left abdominal pain.
Major symptoms of this health disorder include:
- Sudden pain and discomfort in the left side of the lower abdomen
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Secretion of blood during bowels
- Reduced appetite
- Nausea or fever
- Lower abdomen distention
It refers to a health condition causing pain during pregnancy. It describes a situation where the fetus is unable to enter the womb after fertilization; hence, the fetus lands at another region of the abdomen. This disorder develops in the Fallopian tubes where one tube is ruptured with the growth of the fetus as a result it leads to excessive loss of blood that may even result in death.
Major symptoms of this health condition include:
- Abdominal pain from dull reaching up to the severe level
- Vaginal bleeding
- Pressure on the fallopian tubes
- Pain at the shoulder tips
Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
It refers to an inflammatory bowel disease that is a chronic health condition. It is caused due to ulcers and inflammation of the colon and the rectum wall.
Major symptoms of this health disorder are as follows:
- Improper schedule of bowel movements
- Cramps and pain in the lower left abdomen
- Incomplete feces
- Weight loss
- Bleeding while passing stools
- Ulcers in the mouth
- Joint pains
- Eye pain in severe conditions
- Skin rashes on the shin and leg
It refers to the development of cyst, i.e. a sac filled with fluid in either of the ovaries.
Major symptoms are:
- Swollen abdomen or bloating
- Pain during bowel movements
- Pain in the pelvic region during menstruation
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Tenderness of the breasts
- Low back pain or pain in the thighs