Doxycycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic which is used in treating bacteria. It belongs to the group of medications called tetracyclines, and it is a synthetic drug. It has a wide range of use, from respiratory to the urinary tract. Some of the diseases for which doxycycline may be prescribed are pneumonia, anthrax, skin disease, Lyme, including some genital and urinary diseases. Before taking any medications, especially an antibiotic, it is important to know all the side effects and to be clear about the way of consumption. Let’s clear some things straight.
Mixture Of Doxycycline And Alcohol
Before even reading this article, you must have heard about the alcohol consumption when taking any medications and about mixing those two together. When it comes to this drug, even if it isn’t prohibited, it is HIGHLY recommended to avoid any alcohol intake while taking this medication. Here is why. Taking the drug with alcohol can change the effect of the medication or even make its action to the body harmful. So, when you think of this, the least harmful thing it can do is to make it ineffective. But why take the drug then? Patients who consume alcohol in heavy dosage eliminate the drug faster from the system, stopping it from making its effect. Some of the patients with alcohol abuse history might need a higher dose of the drug for it to work, but you mustn’t raise the dose of the med by yourself because it can be damaging. The right dose of the drug should be prescribed only by a professional. Other than that, an alcohol intake can also kill the good bacteria in your stomach, leading to disruption of the immune system. When a stomach flora is off balance, it can result in stomach problems like bowel irritation, nausea, vomiting, and other. This is why doctors prescribe probiotics together with the antibiotics to prevent it from happening and to keep the right amount of bacteria in the stomach.
What Are The Other Interactions Of The Doxycycline?
Consuming alcohol in a long time can have an effect on a liver condition, where if the liver isn’t healthy it can have an impact on a medicine elimination. It is also important to state if a patient taking the medicine has a kidney problems, which can be also damaging for the body.
There are other interactions that are important when taking doxycycline. One of them is the effect of the magnesium, calcium, and iron on a drug absorption. Avoid iron fortified cereal and vitamin supplements, and also meat 2 hours before and 3 hours after taking the medicine. Calcium, magnesium, and iron can make the drug ineffective.
Avoid taking laxatives as they can further fasten the bowel movement and result in faster elimination of the medicine which can also reduce a drug effect. It is also important to state the consumption of other medications when taking this kind of drug due to the unknown interaction between those substances.
Doxycycline can also cause increased sensitivity to sunlight, so it is important to protect yourself from burns. Stay away from direct sunlight, wear cotton clothes, long sleeves and use high SPF factor.
What Else To Be Cautious About When Taking Doxycycline?
It is important to inform your doctor all the necessary information for him to prescribe the right therapy.
- Inform the doctor about allergic reactions. It is important to state if you are allergic to any substance of this medication, if you are allergic to other tetracyclines and if you have any other allergies.
- List the diseases that you have and that you have had in the past. This is important for the doctor to know because of the elimination and metabolism of the drug. If you have liver, kidney disease or diabetes, you should state that in order to have the right therapy.
- State if you are taking any other drugs. This is also important to avoid the drug troublesome interaction with other medications and their ingredients. It can lead to side effects of the drug and can make the drug ineffective.
- Tell the doctor if you’re pregnant. Some medications aren’t safe for consumption when pregnant because it can have an effect on the fetus and cause harm to the fetus.
- Point out if you need to undergo surgery. Doxycycline can have an impact with anesthetic drugs and another effect on the body, so it is important to inform your doctor before any procedure of the drug intake.
- Birth control pills may not be effective when taking this drug. Be cautious when taking this drug because of its effect on the oral contraceptive pills and causing the inactivity of the pills, so you have a risk of getting pregnant. Be aware.
- It is prohibited to use this drug for children under 8 years old. This kind of medicine should never be used for children under 8 years old or on babies because it can leave their teeth stained. Also, babies don’t have fully developed liver, so it can lead to toxicity in the system and side effects.
What Are The Side Effects Of The Doxycycline?
Doxycycline has some side effects, where some of them can be prevented in the proper way of intake and behavior when taking this med.
- Nausea, vomiting, bowel irritation, and diarrhea
- Headaches and blurry vision
- Skin rashes
- Dark urine
If some of these symptoms occur, you should contact your physician for an allergic reaction possibility. You should follow your prescription instructions carefully and be constant until the end of the therapy.