If you’ve messed up in the love department, here’s how to ask her forgiveness – these messages are superb to send someone when you want forgiveness. Of course you need to remember that showing up in person is usually the most important part. Nothing beats an apology delivered in person. And some of these messages might inspire you as to what to say on such an occasion.
The first part of this article consists of quotes you can use in messages, or as inspiration for what to say when apologizing. The second half is original messages I’ve come up with for different situations where you may have to apologize.
Quotes from Others About Apologizing
1. Chocolate says “I’m sorry” so much better than words. – Rachel Vincent
This is a great quote to include if you are giving her some chocolate as a gift when going over to apologize.
2. I’ll understand if you don’t want me. But I will be heartbroken. You are all I ever dreamed of and hoped for. You are much, much more. Please know that I didn’t think I was mean-minded. But I realize I am. I don’t want you to put your arms around me and say it’s all right, that you forgive me. I want you to be sure that you do, and my love for you will last as long as I live. I can see no lightness, no humour, no joke to make. I just hope that we will be able to go back to when we had laughter, and the world was coloured, not black and white and grey. I am so sorry for hurting you. I could inflict all kinds of pain on myself, but it would not take back any I gave to you. – Maeve Binchy
This is a very romantic and heartfelt quote. Something you can share with her to show how truly sorry you are.
3. Never forget the nine most important words of any family: I love you. You are beautiful. Please forgive me.” H. Jackson Brown Jr.
An excellent quote if you want to remind her that everyone messes up sometimes in a relationship.
4. I’m sorry.’ The two most inadequate words in the English language. – Beth Revis
If you want to express how sorry you are and how inadequate you feel your words are, you can use this quote and then go onto describing what else you’d like to do to try to make it better.
5. Right actions in the future are the best apologies for bad actions in the past. – Tyron Edwards
This is so true – so tell her you will show her how sorry you are by your right actions, not just your words.
6. Any good apology has three parts: 1) I’m sorry 2) It’s my fault 3) What can I do to make it right? Most people forget the third part. – Unknown
This you can simply finish by saying that you won’t. You will not forget the third part. And then ask her what you can do to make it right!
7. Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future. – Paul Boese
Here you can tell her that you are sorry, you can’t change the past, but you hope that she can forgive you so that you can make a happier future.
8. Remember, we all stumble, every one of us. That’s why it’s a comfort to go hand in hand. – Emily Kimbrough
If you only did something minor to upset her and she helped right your wrongs, then you can send this to her, together with a thank you note, telling her how thankful you are that she holds your hand and by doing so help you become a better person.
9. For every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness. – Unknown
This is only funny if she’s angry with you for the tiniest of things and you include a sorry at the end. If it’s a major thing and you send this to her, it’s not funny, it’s horrible as you should be asking forgiveness, not tell her to stop being angry.
10. The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology. – Red Auerbach
Here you can let her know that what you did does require an apology and that you are really sorry. It wasn’t the correct action(s) and for that you are tremendously sorry.
11. Sorry doesn’t prove anything unless you mean it. – Ashley Sexton
When you send this quote, you add that you mean it. Truly mean it.
12. I am sorry! I hurt you. I hurt myself by hurting you. I can’t change the past and what I have done. But all I can say is that I won’t do the same mistake I have done no matter what happens. – Unknown
This is a good way to put it to show you’ve learnt from your mistakes.
13. Fools say sorry wise men will prove they are sorry. – Hellgrind
With a quote like this you can add exactly what it is to do to prove you’re sorry, be it taking her away for a weekend of romance, buying her chocolates, always being there to help her, etc.
14. I said “I love you” and I meant it. But I hurt you, now “I’m sorry” and I mean it. – Cheyanne
Truly meaning it is important when it comes to being forgiven.
15. I have learned that sometimes SORRY is not enough. You actually have to change yourself. – Unknown
Here you can add how it is you intend to change yourself.
16. With a bruised heart and a deflated ego, with sad soul and a head hung low. I apologize to you unconditionally, baby I am really very sorry. I love you. – Unknown
Now there’s a heartfelt apology for you!
Messages That Say You’re Sorry
17. I know I did wrong and whilst I can’t go back in time to fix it, I hope you realize that I will never do it again as we move forward. Please forgive me.
18. I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you and therefore got things wrong. I promise in the future I will be a better listener. I love you and I want to hear every word you say. I’m truly so sorry.
19. I am sorry I forgot our anniversary/your birthday. It’s not that I forgot about you. I always think of you, but I’m terrible at remembering these kind of dates. So please, even if the actual day has come and gone, let me show you how important you are to me.
20. I know I didn’t act as you expected me to. I know you think I let you down. I didn’t realize what you wanted me to do. I know I probably should have. All this is new to me though, I’m not used to being in a relationship and sometimes I get it wrong, because I’m not used to thinking about someone else when making decisions. I never meant to hurt you. And I learnt from this. I now know how to do it differently. Please forgive me.
21. I know you’re upset with me. I know we both said things we’re regretting right now. I didn’t mean to hurt you, but I felt hurt so I said mean things. I’m sorry for that. Please let us talk and make it right to each other. And please forgive me for the bad things I said – I wish I could take them back and I will work not to let my emotions get the better of me again. I will be a better boyfriend.
22. I’m so sorry for the things I said – please forgive me? And let me make it up to you with dinner. Please.
23. I’m so sorry for forgetting our anniversary. Please know it wasn’t because I forgot about you. I’m someone who never paid much attention to celebrations – I always thought every day life was more important. I realize it meant a lot to you though, so please, let me take you out this weekend to celebrate then. Let me show you I love you.
24. I’m sorry. Please give me a chance to show you I love you.
25. I love you. I don’t always know what to do to make you happy, but I love you. So please share with me what you want me to do moving forward, so I don’t let you down again.
26. My words hurt you and I sorry for that. I really didn’t mean it the way you thought I did – I would never hurt you on purpose. Please forgive me.
27. I know I lost my temper and I’m sorry for that. I did and said things that hurt you, because I felt let down and hurt. I have to learn to control my temper. We also have to learn what it is we sometimes do that hurt each other and learn to find other ways to do things. Please forgive me and let’s move forward to create a better relationship.
28. I’m so sorry I hurt you. I wish I could turn back time and undo it, but I can’t. All I can do is promise I will do it different in the future.
29. I’m so sorry I haven’t been present enough lately and focused too much on work and other things. I’ve been under pressure at work and when I had free time I wanted to do things where I didn’t have time to think about work. I love you. I neglected you. I’m sorry. I’ve been a self-centered idiot. Please forgive me.
30. I love you. I neglected you. I’m sorry. I’ve been a self-centered idiot. Please forgive me. (This is a shorter version of the message above.)
31. I’m so sorry. Sometimes I feel I make mistakes because I don’t know all of you yet. I don’t know what you want, expect and what makes you happy at all times. Please help me by teaching me, because I want to make you happy. So very happy!
32. I’m sorry I said the wrong thing at the wrong time – please forgive me!
33. I know I messed up, but I also know I love you and I will do my utmost to make it up to you. Please forgive me.
34. Love is not always easy, but I know the two of us will make it, because we do love each other and we will learn through our mistakes and constantly create a better relationship. Please forgive me my wrongs and please help me understand what you need so I won’t make the same mistake again.
35. I know we fought. I know we hurt each other. I also know we love each other. Please let’s talk so we can create a better relationship moving forward. I love you.
36. I know you have the right to be angry. I know I screwed up. Please allow me to make it up to you. Please allow me to learn, so I won’t make the same mistake again. Please forgive me.
37. I know sorry sounds like a lame thing to say after what I did, but I truly am sorry. I know I’m sorry because I hurt every day. If I could go back in time and make a better choice I would. Know that moving forward I’d never make the same mistake again though. I learnt. And it cost both you and me through my learnings. I’m sorry. Please give me another chance to prove I can be the man you need me to be.
38. I know I wasn’t exactly charming last night. In fact, I was anything but. Please forgive me my bad manners and give me a chance to prove how charming I can truly be… 😉
39. I’ve made mistakes in the past. Maybe none as bad as the one I made with you, but with every mistake I’ve learnt so as not to make the same mistake again. Please let me learn from this mistake to and make it up to you. I’m sorry. I’m really, really sorry. Please forgive me.
40. I’ve messed up, so please let me make it up to you. I can’t go back in time, but I can spend the next week doing something every day to prove I love you. Will you accept my offer to do so?
41. Relationships are new to me and I know I get it wrong sometimes, but I love you and I want to work till I get it all right. Please forgive me.
42. I know I’ve been miserable to be around lately, I’ve had a hard time and I know that’s not an excuse, but I let myself get swept away with it. I promise I will stop acting like a cry baby and instead focus on making things right. Please forgive me.
43. I know what I did was wrong. I know you don’t have to forgive me. I know people will tell you that you’re a fool if you forgive. I also know I love you and I got it all wrong. I know I will spend the rest of my life making it up to you. Please give me a shot at trying. If you think I’m not doing good enough, then dump me, but please let me try first. Please.
44. Here’s the deal, I did say/do something stupid, but I promise I will make it up for you. How about I cook for you every single night next week? AND do the laundry? 😉
45. I’m a fool. There you have it. A complete and utter fool. But please forgive me, because I will make it up to you. I promise.
46. I’m sorry. I know it’s not enough to say that. I know I have to prove I can be different in the future and I will, but I need to start with saying I’m sorry, because I am. Please forgive me.
47. I know I’ve done wrong. I know I can’t make it right. But please allow me a chance to prove I can act differently in the future. I’m sorry. So sorry.
48. I did wrong and I’m sorry. Please let me make it up to you by taking you out for dinner tonight? I know it won’t make it right, but at least it will prove I’m truly sorry.
49. Sorry doesn’t even begin to describe what I am. I am devastated I hurt you. I’m disappointed in myself for not realizing how much this could hurt you. And I’m determined to show you I can do better. I will spend the rest of my life proving it to you, if you will only let me. Please let me.
50. You know you’re the best thing that ever happened to me and I’m sorry I’m not always the best thing that happened to you. I wish I were. Please help me to become a better man so I can make you happy.