When you can’t sleep at night because all you can think about is her, there is an excellent chance that you are in love. The stars seem to shine brighter, and every positive thing in your life seems that much better because you are completely in love. Now that you have found the right person, the next step is to figure out how to keep her. If you truly love your girlfriend or wife, you have to find ways to show her how you feel.
While the best way to let her know how you feel is to just tell her, finding the words can be difficult. Unfortunately, many people are unable to put how they feel into concise, beautiful prose. If this describes you, do not panic: we can help. We will start with some basic tips for writing love letters. If these are not enough to help you out, then you can also try out some of our pre-written love letters. Obviously, you can make changes or move things around until the sample love letters match your situation or partner perfectly.
Think Carefully When You Choose What to Say
Many people feel uncomfortable writing about their feelings. For your love letter to be effective, you have to know exactly what to say to show how you feel. The wrong words can transform your beautiful letter into a trashy heap of sexual innuendo and missed chances. Make sure to use adjectives that describe your feelings and your lover. In addition, make sure that the letter is tailored perfectly for your partner’s personality, looks and interests.
If you want to make love letters for her that she’ll adore, you have to focus on your emotions. A true love letter must express your love and emotions. Emotional elements can be hard to include, but there are options available to help you. Start by discussing how significant you feel like the relationship is and how you feel. If you cannot find the right words, bust out your thesaurus to look up better sounding alternatives.
Remember the Little Things
You can make generalizations about her beauty, but the best love letters focus on little details. It is like when you buy a present for her: a box of chocolates is nice, but a box of chocolates that only contain her favorite flavor is much better. Noticing the little details shows that you care about her and pay attention. This is especially important if you are not always known for picking up on the minor mannerisms or gestures that show how she feels in real life. Your love letter is a chance for you to show that you care and notice all of the little, beautiful quirks in her personality.
While you want to use adjectives and descriptive lingo, you have to make sure that your letter is still fairly subtle. If you tell her that she has a banging body, she could be offended. In comparison, telling her that she has a body with curves like the ocean and skin softer than the finest velvet is sure to make her swoon. You need to find the right balance behind saying how you feel and being sensual.
How Will You Give Her the Letter?
In the modern age, many people send their love letters through email or social media. While you can do this, it is probably not the best option. People tend to skim over things that they see online, and she may not get time to read it. Plus, there is something about a physical letter that really makes your message stand out. Slip the letter under her door, on her pillow or next to a breakfast that you make her in bed. Get creative to find the perfect place for a surprise.
To make your love letter really stand out, rethink the way you make it. Special calligraphy, high-quality paper, wax seals or perfumed letters really send a message. Not only did you care enough for her to write the letter, but you went to great lengths to make that letter special. She will completely adore you and keep the letter forever if you go out of your way to make it unique and special for her.
Simple Love Letters
The following three letters are examples of the most basic love letters for her:
1. My life is only beautiful because you are in it. When you appeared, it was like a candle shining into the darkness. Your love and care have shown me what it means to be a good person and to live life to the fullest. While I know that I could never know every little detail about you, I want to spend my entire life learning more about who you are, what you like and your past. Every time you share your personal feelings with me, I discover again and again why I am so in love with you.
2. Today, I was remembering what life was like before you were a part of it. I was confused and aimlessly drifting from one idea to another. Little did I realize, but all of my problems were because I never found the right person to share my life with. When you appeared, it was like the sun breaking through a cloudy sky. Suddenly, the world seemed brighter and more secure because you were a part of it. Few people find someone so perfect to share their life with, and I know just how lucky I am to have you a part of my life. Everything I do, say and think each day is with the goal of always being with you.
3. All I wanted was to write you a love letter, but I am struggling to find the words. I feel so in love with you, but the words seem to fly away when I try to put them down on the paper. I find myself staring at a blank page and thinking of your hair, your lips, your eyes and every little detail that has made me fall in love with you. I love the way your face brightens when you smile and the way your hair falls across your forehead as you sleep. I love everything about you and only wish that I could be with you right now. When you read this, think of me and the next time we will be together.
Love Letter Ideas for a Wife
Even though you are already married, you should take care to keep the romance alive. Relationships take work, and divorces happen because people do not spend time working on their relationship. Take the first step toward showing your wife that you still love her by using one of these love letters for her that she’ll adore.
1. I tried to pack up my love and devotion to you, but it would not fit in any box that I could find. Instead, I am stuck trying to put into words how much I love you. I would travel to the ends of the earth just to hear you say “I do” one more time. You are all that I think about. As the years pass by, I will continue to feel blessed by your presence in my life. My love for you is deeper than any ocean, brighter than any shining star and more extensive than the skies themselves. I will love you eternally. If you were to finish counting the grains of sand on the shores and the drops of water in the ocean, I would still love you and want to be with you.
2. I have tried my best to find a way to show how much I love you, but words cannot express how I feel. Bear with me as I struggle to put my deepest feelings on paper. I may not be a poet, but I can try to tell you how much I love you.
You are my inspiration in everything that I do. While I know how tired you must be from taking care of both me and our family, I never see it in your eyes. Every time I turn around, your smile lights up the room with an energy and brightness that I cannot even begin to fathom. I drag myself home wearily each day to borrow your energy and enthusiasm for life. I am so unbelievably grateful that I have found such a wonderful person to spend my life with.
3. When we first met, I was fascinated by your beauty. I could barely speak to you because you were too lovely for me to even approach. I thought that a mere touch of my hand could cause the delicate beauty that I saw to fall apart in an instant. Now that I have had time to know you better, I am still amazed by how gorgeous you are. Every time you turn around, my breath is taken away at of sheer awe. Thank you for everything that you do, and please forgive me if I have still failed at putting my love into words.
Today, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you and everything that you do. You spend so much time making our relationship work, and I don’t think that I have ever told you just how much of a difference you make every day. It is not just me that benefits from your good nature, love and generosity. I watch people talk to you and interact, and I realize just how much of a difference you have made in the lives of everyone around you. Your kind heart and loving personality are inspiring for me. While I may be distracted by work at times, never doubt how much I appreciate and love you. Every time you see my smile, know that it was because of you that I felt momentarily happier and brighter. Just seeing your removes the stress of my day and makes me feel a little more relaxed and at east. I love you.
Historic Love Letters
Winston Churchill’s Love Letter
This love letter was written by Winston Churchill to his wife:
My darling Clemmie,
In your letter from Madras you wrote some words very dear to me, about my having enriched your life. I cannot tell you what pleasure this gave me, because I always feel so overwhelmingly in your debt, if there can be accounts in love…. What it has been to me to live all these years in your heart and companionship no phrases can convey. Time passes swiftly, but is it not joyous to see how great and growing is the treasure we have gathered together, amid the storms and stresses of so many eventful and to millions tragic and terrible years?
Your loving husband,
Napoleon Bonaparte’s Love Letter
In this famous letter, Napoleon writes to his wife, Josephine. While it may have been written hundreds of years ago, this letter is still relevant to modern husbands and wives. If you want, you can always make a few modifications so that you can use this historic letter for your own wife or girlfriend.
I love you no longer; on the contrary, I detest you. you are a wretch, truly perverse, truly stupid, a real Cinderella. You never write to me at all, you do not love your husband; you know the pleasure that your letters give him yet you cannot even manage to write him half a dozen lines, dashed off in a moment! What then do you do all day, Madame? What business is so vital that it robs you of the time to write to your faithful lover? What attachment can be stifling and pushing aside the love, the tender and constant love which you promised him? Who can this wonderful new lover be who takes up your every moment, rules your days and prevents you from devoting your attention to your husband? Beware, Josephine; one fine night the doors will be broken down and there I shall be. In truth, I am worried, my love, to have no news from you; write me a four page letter instantly made up from those delightful words which fill my heart with emotion and joy. I hope to hold you in my arms before long, when I shall lavish upon you a million kisses, burning as the equatorial sun.
Elizabeth Barrett’s Love Letter
Written to Robert Browning, this is one of the most famous love letters in history. While the renowned love letter may have been written by a woman, a few pronoun and name changes can easily transform this into a love letter for your wife, girlfriend or lover. Below, we have included an excerpt.
“It seems to me, to myself, that no man was ever before to any woman what you are to me — the fullness must be in proportion, you know, to the vacancy…and only I know what was behind — the long wilderness without the blossoming rose…and the capacity for happiness, like a black gaping hole, before this silver flooding. Is it wonderful that I should stand as in a dream, and disbelieve—not you—but my own fate?
Was ever any one taken suddenly from a lampless dungeon and placed upon the pinnacle of a mountain, without the head turning round and the heart turning faint, as mine do? And you love me more, you say? …. How shall I ever prove what my heart is to you? How will you ever see it as I feel it?”
Henry VIII’s Love Letter
While his relationship with Anne Boleyn did not end particularly well, this love letter is beautiful to read. It is ideally used for someone who is out of touch with their partner or in a long distance relationship.
“On turning over in my mind the contents of your last letters, I have put myself into great agony, not knowing how to interpret them, whether to my disadvantage, as you show in some places, or to my advantage, as I understand them in some others, beseeching you earnestly to let me know expressly your whole mind as to the love between us two. It is absolutely necessary for me to obtain this answer, having been for above a whole year stricken with the dart of love, and not yet sure whether I shall fail of finding a place in your heart and affection.”
Voltaire’s Love Letter
“This one is beautiful and heartfelt to read, but it will probably not suit your current circumstances. Voltaire wrote this to his lover while he was in prison for their affair. While it may not be applicable to many or most modern relationships, you can still use it for inspiration.
I am a prisoner here in the name of the King; they can take my life, but not the love that I feel for you. Yes, my adorable mistress, to-night I shall see you, and if I had to put my head on the block to do it.
For heaven’s sake, do not speak to me in such disastrous terms as you write; you must live and be cautious; beware of madame your mother as of your worst enemy. What do I say? Beware of everybody; trust no one; keep yourself in readiness, as soon as the moon is visible; I shall leave the hotel incognito, take a carriage or a chaise, we shall drive like the wind to Sheveningen; I shall take paper and ink with me; we shall write our letters.
If you love me, reassure yourself; and call all your strength and presence of mind to your aid; do not let your mother notice anything, try to have your pictures, and be assured that the menace of the greatest tortures will not prevent me to serve you. No, nothing has the power to part me from you; our love is based upon virtue, and will last as long as our lives. Adieu, there is nothing that I will not brave for your sake; you deserve much more than that. Adieu, my dear heart!
Missing You Love Letters
Ideally, you will get to spend the rest of your life with your partner at your side. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Sometimes, work or family matters can cause you to be far apart for weeks, months or even years. During this time, it is extremely important for you to let your lover know that you are still in love with her and only want to be near her again. The following love letters can be used when you are missing your partner and just want to be near her again.
1. It has been so long since I saw your beautiful smile! I miss the way you nestled in my arms at night and the touch of your hand against my skin. I miss the bright look in your eyes when something amused you and your cute, crestfallen frown when something was amiss. All I can do for now is miss you and count down the seconds until we can be together again.
2. When the sun has left the sky, plants droop and flowers fall in sadness. Left without sunshine, the daisies ultimately wither away without the sustaining glow of the morning star. Like the flowers, I am left to wilt and wither without your love. As much as I want to, I cannot be with you right now. The pain of being apart is worse than any physical pain that I can imagine. Every day, I wake up with the thought of you on my mind. Even as I sleep, my mind replays memories of you and dreams of what it will be like when we are together again. Never doubt my love for you because you are all that I think of and the only goal in my life is to hold you in my arms again.
3. From afar, I can imagine just how you will look when you get this letter. It will arrive in the mail, and you will be surprised. After all, who writes letters any more? Seeing the name on the return envelope, your brow will furrow as you become intrigued. I’ve never been know for being that expressive, so your head will tilt in that adorable way that it does when you are considering something.
4. As you read this letter, your hair will gently fall across your face as a smile lights up the room around you. In this moment as you read the letter, your mind and mine are connected in a way that our bodies cannot be. It was for this that I wrote the letter. I cannot imagine the unbearable amount of time before we see each other again, so I wanted to connect our hearts and souls for but a moment. I love you, and all I want is to be near you once more.
5. While we may be apart, we are still together in spirit. Forgive me for not being good with flowery words or romantic prose. All I want is to be around you again. Tonight, as I write this, the moon beams down through the window and I had a thought. While we may be far away, we each gaze upon the same moon. When the moon lights up the sky, look at it and now that I am also gazing at the moon with you.
Love Letters for a Girlfriend
If you want your girlfriend to fall completely in love with you, start by sending her a love letter. This is the best way to tell her how you feel and show that you appreciate her. Plus, the time it takes to write out the letter and send it will be another testament to your growing affection and love for her.
1. Before you were a part of my life, I aimlessly drifted from place to place. You have given my life a direction and sense of purpose; for that alone, I would never be able to repay you. On top of my new purpose in life, I have been gifted the love and affection of someone who is unbelievably intelligent, beautiful and kind. I do not deserve you on any level, but I will spend the rest of my life finding ways to show how much I love you.
2. It is hard to put into words how much you mean to me. While we have only been together for a short amount of time, it feels like I have known you forever. I feel unbelievably comfortable talking to you and being around you. When I go home each day, all I can think about is the next time that we will be together again. You are the entire reason why I wake up in the morning and all I think about at night. Needless to say, I love you. With all my heart and soul, I love you more than I love the air I breath or the food I need to stay alive.
3. We may have been together such a short time, but I already know that you are the one from me. You are on my mind night and day. Every detail about you from the way you talk to the way your body moves across the room enchants my senses. I cannot imagine a life or a world without you in it. Everything I want for the future has been remade because I cannot imagine any goal that does not include you. I want to spend more time with you learning all of your intricate likes, beliefs and passions. If you will let me, I will do my best to earn your love and one day become the type of man who would truly deserve you.
4. The first time I saw you, my heart skipped a beat. In that moment, my heart felt all of the hidden potentials of a relationship with you. In your eyes, it recognized a counterpart and a soulmate. Now that we are together, I have only realized how right this first impression was. I barely remember my life before because every moment spent without you has a dullness and lacks the luster of your love and beauty. You are the only warmth that I need to brighten my days in this dark and dreary world.
5. There is something mysterious about our relationship. While I know my love for you, I cannot touch, feel or see the relationship. Yet, I know that it is there. From the moment I wake up to the second my head hits the pillow at night, you are always on my mind. I share things with you that I have never told anyone else, and you have helped me to grow in ways that I never believed to be possible. Because of you, I am a better person and I finally know what it means to truly be in love. My life before you was nothing, and I moved wearily through each day. Since meeting you, there is a spring to my step and a purpose for existing. I will spend the rest of my life trying to become someone who truly deserves the kindness and warmth of your love.
6. To tell you that you are the most beautiful woman in the world would be redundant. I have told you this again and again, but it is still all I can think about. Forgive me for boring you, but I cannot get over how lovely your eyes are when you smile or the way your face brightens every room that you enter. Amazingly, your good looks are partnered with a personality that is just as pure. It seems entirely unfair that one person could be blessed with beauty, intelligence and a wonderful personality, but it seems to be the case. I am awed in every moment that I spend with you by just how perfect you are. Through you, I have realized that I need to be a much better person in order to even hope that I could deserve a fraction of your love.