Once the beautiful summer season knocks your door, you never want to stay at home. But, there are certain hazards associated with sun bathing. You already know that you must protect your skin from excessive sunlight and thus apply sunscreen all over your body. But, you often forget your lips. You must apply an SPF containing lip balm for protective measures.
If your skin is fair, it may be more prone to damage from excessive sunlight. Sunburns often are first degree, mild pink or second degree, more dangerous burns. If you undergo the second degree of sunburns, blisters may occur on your skin including lips.
Treatment of sun blisters on lips
- Use soothing agents
- Aloe Vera
You can directly apply the fresh Aloe Vera gel on your lips. Extract it by breaking the leaf into two parts. It gives a soothing effect to the blisters and hydrates the suffering skin.
- Cold compress
Apply ice wrapped in a small towel on the blisters for a few minutes. Take a break and re-apply the ice. Do not apply the ice directly on the blisters.
- Apple cedar vinegar/ white vinegar
Applying any of these vinegars on the blisters absorbs the heat, which relieves you from the burning sensation. The blisters also heal quickly if you do it. You can spray the vinegar directly on the sunburn blister. You can also dilute it with water, dip a soft cloth or a cotton ball into it and rub gently on the sunburn blister. Another method is to mix equal quantities of vinegar and honey, and apply the blend onto the blisters to avoid infection.
The healing and antiseptic properties of turmeric are known to heal even the biggest of wounds. Combine water and turmeric powder to make a paste and apply it on the sunburn blisters for 10 minutes.
Another method is to combine yoghurt, turmeric powder, and barley to make a dense paste. Apply this mixture generously on the blisters for 30 minutes. Rinse with cool water. Using this remedy once daily heals the blisters quickly.
Oatmeal also helps soothe the skin and heal the blisters all over the body quickly. Fill your bathtub with cold water and put two full cups of oatmeal. Sit in the bath for 30 minutes or more. You can also add rose petals to the water.
Raw potatoes speed up the process of healing with their cooling properties. Cut a well washed potato into thick slices and blend them in a mixer to form a paste. Put on this paste on the blisters and let it dry. Wash off with cool water. Do it daily to get rid of blisters. You can do the same with cucumber slices as well.
- Keep your lips moisturized
It helps to reduce the pain when you use lips balms containing SPF, vitamin E, lanolin or wax. You can break open a capsule of Vitamin E and apply it on your lips. It regenerates fresh cells rapidly and heals your blisters.
- Use topical solutions
You can easily find cooling gels like antihistamine or else corticosteroid products which can help decrease the inflammation and make your lips less sensitive. Antibiotic ointments like polymyxin or bacitracin have great antibiotic properties which also lower the risk of infections also.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
You may also consume anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen. They are very helpful in decreasing inflammation and also reduce pain.
- Avoid some things
- Avoid any triggers that you know can cause sunburn blisters on your lips.
- Blistered lips become even more sensitive. Thus, avoid foods and sun exposure to make the situation worse. Keep the area clean and dry and do not touch your lips. Taking such precautionary measures will heal your sunburn blisters quickly.
- Do not pop the blisters as it increases the chance of infection. If you have got large blisters that are causing too much irritation, you can drain them. Use a sterilized needle to discharge the fluid. But, be careful that you do not take out the skin that covers the blisters since the skin below the blisters is too sensitive and needs to be protected.
- There are some products which are based on petroleum like benzocaine or lidocaine which must be avoided as they may cause more damage to your lips.
- Avoid foods with too many spices. Also, avoid heavy foods to keep your skin from further damage. You can have these foods once your lips become fine.
- Do not take warm or hot baths for a few days because it may worsen your condition of blistered lips.
Prevention is better than cure
When your skin of lips undergoes sunburns, blisters are formed on them and hence the swelling. You must take these preventive measures to avoid any condition of blisters.
- Avoid going in direct sunlight at times when the sunrays are most intense, particularly during 10 am to 4 pm.
- Use sunscreen lotion at least 30 minutes before you go out in sun. If you stick to this procedure, your skin absorbs the cream properly and it becomes more effective.
- If you get wet or have sweat, ensure that you apply more sunscreen. Else, you must apply the sunscreen lotion after every two hours to make sure that you have a protective layer on your skin at all times.
- You must wear clothing like hat or a cap, which can defend your skin and your lips from harsh sunrays. It protects your lips from developing blisters.
Usually, the blisters go away in a couple of days or maximum a week. You can try several home remedies given above to heal the blisters. They are very effective in curing the condition of blisters.
But, if the condition persists and the pain does not go away, you must see your doctor to avoid any further damage to your lips. You would not want to compromise with your face just because of any minor carelessness.