Abbreviations can ease up documentation. It will help to reduce long text of terms or terminologies to keep in short forms. In medical fields also, abbreviations are used quite common. Medical practitioners and all other medical personals use abbreviations for easy communication and documentation. It is disturbing to note that some abbreviations have more than one meaning and in the medical field also you can find this situation. Some medical abbreviations have only one meaning, and AMS is an excuse in this category since it has more than one meaning. When an abbreviation has more than one meaning, then it is better to use the full words to avoid confusion and safe dispensation.
This article deals with AMS abbreviation and some other commonly used abbreviations.
AMS Medical Abbreviation
The medical abbreviation AMS has been using for more than one medical term. Let us explore it and find out how exactly they are using.
- Atypical Measles Syndrome (AMS): Person infected with a slight attack of measles despite after taking measles immunization vaccine is called as Atypical Measles Syndrome (AMS). The symptoms of this disease are pneumonia and swelling. Also, the patient will have a headache, abdominal pain and rashes on feet and hands.
- Altered Mental Status (AMS): Here, the abbreviation AMS is using by medical practitioners to describe the altered mental status. The medical condition shows symptoms of change in the pattern of thinking, inability to understand the location where they are, perceptive understanding of time and memory disorders.
- Aseptic Meningitis Syndrome (AMS): It is noted that some type of meningitis is difficult to diagnose whether infected by virus or bacteria. It happens when a proper diagnose could not be done, and treatment is administered with antibiotic that is meant to neutralize the bacterial infection in the spinal fluid. Actually, the infection could be due to bacterial meningitis. AMS could also happen due the infection of an autoimmune disease.
- Acute Maxillary Sinusitis (AMS): The infection Acute Maxillary Sinusitis, in short also known as AMS hit on the nasal cavities and as result face will turn out to look like swollen or inflamed.
- Amylase (AMS): The short form of AMS is used for lab testing confirm the amylase level in the body. Amylase is a type of enzyme produced by the pancreas.
- Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS): Many people do face high altitude sickness, especially those who go for mountain climbing and when they climb beyond 8,000 feet acute mountain sickness is noticed. In rare cases, this condition is seen in lower altitude also where the oxygen level is low, and people are sensitive to low oxygen level. When the condition of both symptoms that is the lack of oxygen and pressure problem arises their body will start responding with fatigue, nausea, increased heart beating, breathing disorders, dizziness, etc. This situation is known as acute mountain sickness or AMS in clinical terms.
Precautions to use medical abbreviations in practice and guidelines
Considering the possibilities of inadvertent misinterpretations of medical abbreviations, health care regulation societies have recommended to use the full text of abbreviations to avoid confusion. They say very categorically that “spell it out when you are in doubt!” This is the best way to avoid the medical abbreviations from being misinterpreted as what it actually should be used to express. When the medical texts are clearly spelled out, then the possibility of medical errors can be avoided. The practices are good for the patients and also for the medical practitioners to safeguard their professional integrity.